Monday, June 1, 2009

Experiencing the promised land... and cow arteries


It all started last night. A mocha frappe from the coffee house and a nap later, I found myself at the English service for the Filipino Christians in the area who are here to minister to the Thai's, but can't speak Thai. Yes, only 10-15 of us, but the fellowship we experienced was sweet and such a blessing. Some of us on the team shared our testimonies. I shared how I came to Christ and how he intertwined photography and missions into my life, and how a few years ago, I thought missions photography was impossible to do, because I had never heard of anything so bizarre before [even though I had passions for both of those two things] and how I've learned to never put God in a box and limit Him of what I think He can do. The experiences God has led me in the past couple years, the places I've been, the people I've met.... they've totally and only been a God-thing! At the end of the service we sang the old familiar hymn, "He Leadeth Me." I fought the tears as we sang, "He leadeth me: O blessed thought! O words with heavenly comfort fraught! Whate'er I do, where'er I be, still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me..." Wherever I go, wherever I am, whatever I do, God's hand is always over my life, leading me and ordaining my steps. The 3rd verse goes, "Lord, I would place my hand in thine, nor ever murmur nor repine; content, whatever lot I see, since 'tis my God that leadeth me."


Today Lisa gave me a book to read, "Believing God" by Beth Moore. I looked at the title thinking rather nonchalently, "Oh that's nice. Yeah, okay." I layed down for a while and began reading it. W.o.w.! It is exactly what I need to be reading right now. The book is about how God wants us to experience the Promised Land. God WANTS to bless us so that our lives can be fruitful for Him, but sadly many of us live in unbelief and fear. And the only way we can get out of the wilderness of unbelief and fear and experience His blessing is by BELIEF and faith. That's just a short synopsis of the what I've read so far... can't wait to read more.

Late tonight we're picking up another girl up from the airport. Kjieri [pronounced "Carrie"] is coming in for a 6 week internship/short term mission trip here to work with the Caynors!
Tomorrow morning our entire team is flying north to the city of Chang Rai. We're going to be going to the Akha Orphanage and as well as teaching ESL classes. I'm going to try meeting up with a friend of mine, Angela Morse. She and her family are missionaries in Chang Mai. Angela and I met each other over a year ago in Texas while we were taking some IPS photography courses together. I remember how she gave me a Thai scarf and bracelet and then her telling me, "You should come to Thailand!" I told her, "Oh yeah, I'd love to... maybe someday!" Inside I was kind of skeptical and thinking, Psh... I doubt I'd ever make it over to Asia, even though it'd be fun. Well, ta-da. Here I am. SO. Never say never. ;-)

Speaking of which, since I've been here, I've eaten cow arteries, chicken claws, and chicken hearts. I didn't know I ate all that stuff till last night when Lisa told me what it was. I have to admit though, the cow arteries were really tasty. When I was eating them, I thought maybe they were a thick pasta noodle or something -- no joke! LOL! As soon as I found out that it was cow arteries I ate, I seriously almost puked at the thought. So I've told my team mates to please not tell me what I am eating until AFTER I've finished it. It's just better that way. ;-) There's a possibility I may be eating DOG up in Chang Mai. [as well as crickets and fried meal worms too] The thought of that really disgusts me honestly, but God does give grace when we need it, eh? ;-)


I just realized today that your birthday is tomorrow, Stephen! It's hard to believe my baby brother is going to be nine years old! :-) Laugh much [which I know you will, you monkey], eat a piece of birthday cake for me, and save a hug for me when I get home. Love ya, "Stefawn".

-Nahm Waan-

No comments:

Post a Comment